The public might not realize, or appreciate it, but the work performed by dentists is every bit as important as brain surgery, heart bypasses and other serious medical procedures. Without regular visits to the dentist and adherence to proper oral health regimens, individuals might find it difficult or even impossible to eat, talk or work. You take your role as a dentist seriously, which is why it is particularly upsetting that you have been accused of medical malpractice. Not only that, but without your good name, your dental career could collapse. If you are a New York dentist facing accusations of medical malpractice, please read on, then contact one of our experienced New York health care professional defense lawyers to learn what you should know about this process and how our firm can assist you.
When might a New York dentist face a medical malpractice suit?
Any number of alleged conditions or actions/inaction might lead to you facing a medical malpractice suit, including:
- The patient developing an infection from unsanitary or improper practices
- You performing a procedure inadequately or incorrectly
- Complications arising from tooth extractions, Novocain, bridges, crowns and anesthesia
- You choosing the wrong type of treatment
- You misdiagnosing or belatedly diagnosing the patient’s condition
- Treatment being delayed
- The patient sustaining injuries from a root canal
- You failing to diagnose oral disease or cancer
- You performing an inappropriate treatment, such as performing a procedure on the wrong tooth
- You injuring the patient’s oral nerves
- The patient dying as a result of your treatment
These accusations and others could lead the Office of Professional Discipline (OPD) to launch an investigation into you and your practice. If the patient who accused you of medical malpractice can prove you deviated from the acceptable standard of care as their dentist and it resulted in direct harm, you could lose your right to practice medicine. Before you take any other actions, you should reach out to a skilled OPMC/OPD misconduct defense attorney.
How can a New York OPMC/OPD misconduct defense attorney help a dentist faced with a medical malpractice suit?
Along with emphatically arguing that you were, in fact, aligned with the expected standard of care, your attorney may employ one or more of the following time-honored strategies:
- Rejecting expert testimony by presenting conflicting expert testimony
- Attempting to reduce or eliminate the approximated damages claimed
- Working to disprove causation, i.e. proving there is no connection between the patient’s injury and your alleged negligence
Remember: Even in a civil case, the burden of proof is on the plaintiff. Our firm will fight their accusations at every turn to save your medical career. Do not face these accusations alone.
Contact our experienced New York City firm
When a medical professional is accused of misconduct, they must retain strong legal representation. If you require a medical law attorney for your legal matters, call Paul E. Walker, an experienced New York City OPMC & OPD Lawyer. Please contact the Walker Medical Law firm to set up a free initial consultation.