How do I restore my medical license?

When your medical license is revoked, you will likely want to restore it as soon as you possibly can. However, it is important to know that you will not be able to do so for three years. In addition, you will have to submit an application to even attempt to get your license back. Depending on the reason that your license was revoked, you may or may not get it back. Along with your application, you will have to send a check for $750.00 to the New York State Department of Education. The board is very strict regarding a medical license restoration. There are already red flags against you that caused you to have your license revoked to begin with. Now, in the event that they do restore it, they will keep a close eye on your practice and behavior. Be aware that the board is especially strict in regards to allegations of sexual misconduct or drug abuse.

The application is not just like other applications. You are not writing your name and filling in the blanks of your qualifications. You truly have to put every effort into trying to convince the board that you deserve your medical license and that you can redeem yourself as a practicing physician. You have to bring in five people who can vouch for your qualifications, three of which must be licensed medical professionals in your field. They will have to discuss how your behavior has changed and improved over the three year revocation period. You will also have to prove that you have furthered your medical education during the time without your license. The burden of proof throughout the entire revocation period is a difficult one.

This is an incredibly turbulent situation for any medical professional to find themselves in. It is important that you seek the guidance of an experienced attorney who has dealt with these situations many times before.

Walker Medical Law honorably serves the greater New York area representing physicians and other medical providers facing legal and license issues. If you need our assistance for your legal matter, contact our New York office for a consultation.