What Should I do if I am a Physician With a Substance Abuse Problem?

Having a substance abuse problem does not make you a bad person. However, it does make you someone that the OPMC would not want treating patients, under any circumstances. If you are a physician and you have a substance abuse problem, you must read on and reach out to our firm to learn about both what you can do, and what we can do for you. Here are some of the questions you may have regarding the legal process going forward:

What happens if I am a physician caught with a substance abuse problem?

If you are a physician with a substance abuse problem, you are putting your career in jeopardy, even if you truly believe that your addiction does not inhibit your ability to perform your job to your fullest potential. If someone suspects you have a substance abuse problem and registers a complaint against you, OPD or OPMC will most likely demand an interview from you. If you give any wrong or suspect answers, you may lose your license to practice on the spot. Even worse, if they show up and believe you are impaired, they will most likely do anything in their power to prevent you from ever treating patients in the future.

How do I defend myself against a substance abuse-related complaint?

Though the circumstances may seem grave, the truth is, you may drastically improve your chances of keeping your right to practice by hiring an experienced attorney who has years of experience representing clients just like you. If you are a physician with a substance abuse problem, the first thing you must do is report to the Committee on Physicians’ Health immediately. Here, you will have a chance to enter a rehabilitation program so you can lose your addiction for good.

Additionally, if the OPMC or OPD find out you had a substance abuse problem, though you have already been enrolled in rehabilitation for over a year, for example, they may not permanently revoke your license, as you have proven that you are dedicated to getting your life back on track for some time now. On the other hand, if you believe you have been falsely or wrongly accused of a substance abuse problem, you should not wait–hire an experienced attorney as soon as you possibly can. Our firm is here to help.

Contact our experienced New York City firm

When a medical professional is accused of misconduct, they must retain strong legal representation. If you require a medical law attorney for your legal matters, call Paul E. Walker, an experienced New York City OPMC & OPD Lawyer. Please contact the Walker Medical Law firm to set up a free initial consultation.