If you are under investigation by the New York State Department of Health’s Office of Professional Medical Conduct (OPMC) or Office of Professional Discipline (OPD) or suspect that an investigation will take place in the near future, please read on, then contact an experienced OPMC/OPD misconduct defense attorney to discuss what you should bring to an initial consultation with your New York attorney.
How do you prepare for an initial consultation with a New York misconduct defense attorney?
Discussing your personal, professional and legal problems with anyone, even someone tasked with defending you, can be a delicate and uncomfortable matter. However, in order to make the most of your initial consultation with a New York OPMC/OPD misconduct defense attorney, you should do the following:
- Be prepared to discuss your background: The more open and honest you are with your attorney about your circumstances, the better he or she will be able to defend you.
- Gather important documents: Your attorney will need to examine certain documents when assessing your case, including the complaint, information on present and prior cases, supporting affidavits, any court orders, receipts, list of upcoming hearings and any exculpatory evidence.
- Bring a list of possible witnesses: You will need to provide a list of witnesses who can help your case by:
- Corroborating your story
- Testifying to your character
- Confirming your alibi
- Providing any other helpful evidence
- Have questions for your attorney: When meeting with an attorney for the first time, you should take the opportunity to ask questions such as:
- How many cases have you handled that are similar to mine?
- What are the past results in handling cases like mine?
- Do you see any problems with my case?
- How often will I have to attend hearings?
- How long do you think my case will take?
- What is your payment arrangement?
We would be remiss if we did not inform you that it is probably best if you do not put any of this into writing if it is not already.
Why should you be prepared for your first meeting with a New York OPMC/OPD misconduct defense attorney?
To survive the grueling and draining process of an OPMC or OPD misconduct investigation, you and your seasoned legal representative will need to thoroughly understand and implicitly trust each other. A favorable outcome is almost always premised on a successful and productive beginning, which is why you should come prepared. Our firm has decades of experience dealing with these matters, so please do not hesitate to give us a call today.
Contact our experienced New York City firm
When a medical professional is accused of misconduct, they must retain strong legal representation. If you require a medical law attorney for your legal matters, call Paul E. Walker, an experienced New York City OPMC & OPD Lawyer. Please contact the Walker Medical Law firm to set up a free initial consultation.