Can anyone file a complaint to the OPMC?

Can anyone file a complaint with the OPMC about medical professional misconduct?

The Office of Professional Medical Conduct is the governing body of all medical professionals in the state of New York. It exists to hold physicians, nurses, and other medical professionals accountable for meeting the accepted standard of care. One of the biggest concerns that a medical professional may have throughout the course of their career is if they receive a letter from the Office of Professional Medical Conduct stating that they will be under investigation because someone filed a complaint against them.

What types of complaints are filed?

There are a number of different forms of misconduct that may need to be investigated by the OPMC. Some of the most common issues that our firm is experienced in defending clients against include the following:

  • Billing fraud
  • Insurance fraud
  • Sexual misconduct
  • Substance abuse issues
  • Medical license revocation
  • Medical license restoration

Who can file a complaint?

Many people wonder whether they are permitted to file a complaint against a medical professional with the OPMC. As long as an individual, insurance company, or colleague has a valid claim against the medical professional in question, they are allowed to file a complaint. Be aware that the person who files the complaint will have to participate in the investigation into whether it holds any weight.

Who can I file a complaint against?

Another question that is often asked is in regards to which type of medical professionals can have a complaint filed against them. Our firm proudly defends physicians, physician assistants, nurses, pharmacists, dentists, physical therapists, and psychologists when a complaint is filed against them.

When a medical professional is accused of misconduct, it is essential that they retain strong legal representation. If you require a medical law attorney for your legal matters, call Paul E. Walker, an experienced New York City OPMC & OPD Lawyer. Please contact the Walker Medical Law firm to set up a free initial consultation.